Two weeks ago, I decided to make a change to my workout routine.
I was taking the Y-lift classes at my local Y. I enjoyed the class, but find that it is too short (40 mins) and with the start time of 6pm, it's definitely hard for me to make it when I have a busy day at work.
I have always wanted to run. My dad was a huge runner before his knees gave out. I have been running on and off for many years, but have never built up the stamina to run more than 3k or so.
A girl friend recommended I try C25k, and I have never heard of the program until now. I found two C25K podcasts that play the genre of music I like:
1. Robert Ullrey's C25K podcast
2. Podrunner Intervals: First Day to 5K
I listened to both podcasts briefly at work and picked Podrunner Intervals to run with. Did I mention that both podcasts are free? :)
The C25k program is 9 weeks long with 3 runs per week and a resting day (or two) in between.
- The very first run I did a combo of speedwalking and jogging with the intervals.
- The 2nd and 3rd run got progressively easier. Instead of walking, I am now able to jog and run.
- The first day of the second week was quite brutal. I really had to exert myself to finish the run. I did 2 miles in 30 minutes.
- With the 2nd and 3rd run I saw some improvement. I am now able to run 2 miles in 27 minutes. 3 minutes is a huge difference in my book. I had to haul ass, but it was totally manageable.
- The 2nd week's podcast opens with Peter Presta - Rock the Funky Beats, which is my favorite song so far. It really gets me going. I'll probably end up buying this track.